Measles was declared eliminated from the U.S. in 2000 thanks to a highly effective vaccination program, but every year, measles is brought into the United States by unvaccinated travelers.
The best protection against measles is Measles Mumps Rubella (MMR) vaccine. The MMR vaccine provides long-lasting protection against all strains of measles. Your child needs two doses of MMR vaccine for best protection:
- The first dose at 12 through 15 months of age
- The second dose 4 through 6 years of age
Public Health Alert - 7/10/2019
The Grand Traverse County Health Department has received notification of a confirmed case of measles in a Grand Traverse County resident. PLEASE read the official HEALTH ALERT for additional information.
The exposure locations in Grand Traverse County include:
- Sunday, June 30, from 5:00 – 10:00pm: Walmart (2640 Crossing Cir., Traverse City)
- Monday, July 1, from 2:00 – 5:00pm: Department of Human Services (701 S Elmwood, Traverse City)
- Tuesday, July 2, from 2:30 - 5:00 pm: Munson Family Practice (1400 Medical Campus Drive, Traverse City)
- Wednesday, July 3, from 4:15 - 5:00 pm: Munson Family Practice (1400 Medical Campus Drive, Traverse City)
- Thursday, July 4, from 9:30am – 12:15pm: Munson Medical Center Emergency Room (1105 6th St, Traverse City)
There was NO KNOWN EXPOSURE at the National Cherry Festival.
Again, PLEASE read the official HEALTH ALERT for additional information.
The Grand Traverse County Health Department is recommending residents make sure they, and their families, are vaccinated against the disease. A person who has had the disease in the past, has been vaccinated, or who was born before 1957 is considered to be immune. Please contact your Primary Cary Physician if you have questions regarding your immunity.
GENERAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
- Measles - Is Your Family Protected flier from GTCHD
- Measles Questions and Answers from the Immunization Action Coalition
- Measles - What you Need to Know flier from GTCHD
- Measles Vaccine Best Protection Information from the State of Michigan's Heath and Human Services
- Vaccine Information Statement for MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
- Additional Information about the outbreak from the State of Michigan earlier this year: 2019 Michigan Measles Outbreak Information
- Additional general information about Measles: www.cdc.gov/measles
- National Measles outbreak information from the CDC: www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks
- Traveler Information regarding Measles from the CDC: www.cdc.gov/measles/travelers
Offices using Munson Medical Center's Laboratory
Offices Utilizing Laboratories OTHER than Munson